Who to Visit for Your Hearing Needs

If you are concerned that you may have hearing loss, the first step is to have yourself evaluated. There are a few different options to choose from, which include audiologists, hearing instrument specialists, and otolaryngologists. The last professional may not do the testing, but often work with others who do. In this article, we’ll look at these three professionals to give you an idea of who you should seek out.


This is a person who specializes in managing, diagnosing, and treating problems related to the hearing and balance areas of the area. They provide hearing aids, along with other hearing device. They are also in charge of counseling those who have hearing loss and their families. An audiologist is required to have a Doctor of Audiology. In addition, they need to go through a 12-month clinical practicum and pass an examination. Most audiologists work in outpatient clinics, private clinics, or hospitals.

Hearing Instrument Specialist

This professional is also known as a hearing aid specialist and is capable of testing hearing and providing hearing aid technology. This position requires a high school degree and a training program. The individual must also pass a licensing exam. This person can perform basic hearing exams to determine the need for hearing aids. They largely focus on repairing, programming, and dispensing hearing aids. Some work at offices with audiologists while others have their own private practice.


Also known as an ear, nose, and throat doctor, an otolaryngologist is a medical specialist who focuses on problems with those three body parts. This position requires an M.D. or D.O. degree. These professionals can treat and evaluate any problems related to the hearing and balance system. Some of these physicians used to dispense hearing aids, but now that is left to audiologists.

Choosing the Right Option

A great way to find a professional, experienced individual for your hearing needs is to talk to others you know who have hearing aids. They may be able to direct you to a clinic that they have had a good experience at. Your physician may also be able to direct you to a hearing professional who is known in the area. Another option is to search the Internet for reviews on various hearing specialists.

If you need a hearing test from a professional, consider choosing Hearing Associates, Inc. We would be happy to set up an appointment and answer all of your questions. You can learn more about us at HearingAssociatesMD.com. You can also connect with us on Facebook for more updates.

Pin It on Pinterest