Home air conditioning systems are an essential part of a comfortable summer, and a poorly kept filter can severely affect the unit’s normal operation as dirt and debris impede airflow. You can avoid these issues by cleaning or replacing your filter on a regular basis -; a clean filter can improve your unit’s energy efficiency by up to 15%.
Filter Cleaning Frequency
During the summer, as you’re using your AC more often, the filter should be replaced or cleaned every one to two months. However, even the company offering the Best Air Conditioning Repair Waukesha WI can tell you about factors requiring more frequent replacement, such as:
1. Constant use -; During the hottest part of the year, your AC will stay on all the time. As it’s constantly used, dirt and dust accrue on the filter more quickly, and you’ll have to change it more often.
2. Dust in the air -; If you live in an arid climate or are in the midst of a drought, your AC filter is more vulnerable to dust buildup and should be changed more frequently.
3. Pet ownership -; When your dogs and cats shed, the stray hairs are sucked up by your AC unit and the filter gets clogged faster.
Replacing or Cleaning the Filter
Replacement and cleaning procedures vary depending on the type of unit you have. However, basic steps include:
1. Finding the filter -; Central units often have filters situated somewhere along the return duct, or in a wall or ceiling.
2. Turning off the unit -; It’s safest to shut the unit off before changing the filter.
3. Opening the unit and removing the filter -; Pull the filter out gently, inspecting it for tears or snags.
4. Cleaning (if applicable) – Use a vacuum hose to gently suck all the debris off the filter, and wash it with a soap and water solution. Allow it to dry.
5. Replacement -; Put the cleaned or new filter into the unit, and you’ll immediately reap the benefits of cleaner and cooler air.
By regularly cleaning or replacing your AC filter, your unit will keep operating effectively and efficiently throughout the summer. If you need help changing your filter or if there’s another air conditioning problem you can’t solve on your own, Contact Heiden Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for the Best Air Conditioning Repair Waukesha WI.