A gutter system collects rainwater and directs it away from the foundation. This prevents water from damaging and weakening it. It also protects the roof edges from premature wear and tear. Playing such vital roles, they therefore should be well installed and maintained to ensure efficiency and longevity. One of the routine maintenance services involves collecting leaves, which if not removed can decay and precipitate the rusting of the roof. Elderly people who cannot climb to the roof to remove leaves should have gutter guards in Indianapolis installed in the roofs to make the work easier. Here are some things that you need to know about gutter guards:
Gutter guards are available in different styles, and their effectiveness in protecting the gutters varies. Some come with tiny holes while others have big ones. So, you need to determine what you are preventing from entering into the gutter system before buying one. Generally, all of them will be effective in keeping leaves away.
Types of guards
There are different types of gutter guards, and they are:
- Reverse curve gutter guards: These direct water downwards into the gutter while making leaves fall off to the ground.
- Mesh guards: These are sheets that have been filled with holes. They can let in some small debris, but they are quite effective.
- Bottlebrush guards: These have bristles on the surface. These trap debris and let water flow in.
- Nylon guards: These are effective during the winter season. They help to keep ice and snow away from the gutters.
- Foam type guards: These guards are designed to absorb water and let it into the gutter. Since they have no spaces, leaves will not get into the gutter and instead will be forced to fall off. These can be termed as the most effective in preventing debris.
These are thin louvers that are attached to the roof. They are used to divert water off the roof and into the drains. They can be used when one does not intend to use gutters. They cannot however be used to harvest water. Depending on the foliage near your house, you may use guards or leave them.
Reliable Seamless Guttering boasts over 30 years of experience in the industry. They will install the best gutter guards in Indianapolis to protect your home.