Every gardener knows that the compost you use can make or break your garden, and while it is recommended that you compost yourself, many people don’t have the space or the time for it. There are different places, ways, and methods of buying Compost in Portland, Oregon and below you will find a few of them. One thing you do need to know is that you can by compost by the bag, but it’s cheaper to buy it in bulk, especially if you are going to be using a lot of it.
Where to Buy Compost
Places to buy Compost in Portland, Oregon vary, but you need to know what you are looking for before you decide on the place.
* When you are searching for compost, it should smell good, not like trash and it should never have an ammonia smell to it. An ammonia smell means that it’s not done.
* The compost should feel like dark, fluffy, rich soil. If there are a lot of raw spots in it, it’s not ready to use.
* You want your compost to be made up of organic matter for the most part. There are occasions when you can buy it mixed with soil, but those occasions should be rare.
* It the compost has some earthworms and insects living in it that means that it is capable of supporting life. That is nice but no necessary for it to be good compost.
* You don’t want to pay too much for your compost. The most should be around $20 to $30 a yard, unless there are special circumstances.
These are some of the basics on how and where to buy compost. Most gardeners know the basics, but if you are just starting out, this is a handy guide. Whether you are planting daisies or roses, whether you are a professional gardener or just tinkering around as a hobby, the right compost can make or break your garden. Agents are standing by to help you with all of your gardening needs.