Explaining Different Types of Car Insurance In Shawnee KS

Insurance is one of those things that you have to buy but hope that you never have to use. If you are involved in a car accident then you know that not only is it expensive to fix your car but there are other expenses such as personal bodily injury or damage to property that have to be paid for as well. Paying for Car insurance Shawnee KS is a necessary expense that pays for your monthly policy coverage in the event that you are involved in an accident.

There is a minimum amount of coverage that each state requires for a driver to hold in an insurance policy. The numbers are sometimes read off in a series of three such as 15/30/5 and is meant to represent the amount of different liabilities the insurance company will pay for in the event of an accident.

The three numbers represent liability insurance. The first and second number represents Bodily Injury Liability, or BIL as it often referred to. This is the amount of money, to be read in our scenario as $15,000 and $30,000, that will be paid out to cover medical expenses when you are at fault in the car accident. This is typically a two-part number. $15,000 is the maximum that will be paid to an individual while the other number may be the maximum total number the insurance will pay out if there were more than one party injured. For instance the insurance carrier will pay $15,000 for one person but no more than $30,000 for everyone involved.

Lastly, the 5 or $5,000 in our situation represents property damage liability and this is the money that will be paid for the damages to the other car involved in an accident that was your fault. All of these numbers represent the minimum that a state mandates as necessary coverage to have. Typically a car is worth more than $20,000 so if there was extensive damage, $5,000 will barely cover to fix a dent. All of these numbers for Car insurance Shawnee KS for liability and property damage should be considered on the low side. Remember that in the case of an accident where it is your fault, after the insurance money is paid out, the extra damages must be paid for.