Accidents occur every day. They happen while driving in the workplace and walking along a street. Sometimes, no one is at fault; other times, the behavior of others is the cause not only of an accident but of a serious personal injury. If you are involved in an accident and suffer harm, talk to a personal injury lawyer in Tampa FL. This is the best course of action to take to try to be compensated for the damage you have suffered.
What Is a Personal Injury?
Personal injury – in the legal context, focuses solely on personal not property damage. It refers to the inflicting of emotional, physical or psychological damage or harm to an individual by another.
Types of Personal Injury
A personal injury attorney in Tamp FL knows the term “personal injury” encompasses a variety of occurrences under the law. The causal factors of these injuries may vary but there are some that are more common than others. Among those a lawyer frequently addresses are:
- Vehicle Accidents: – cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, trains, airplanes
- Construction Accidents: workplace injuries can result in various forms of personal injury. They can range from trauma to death
- Product Liability: Harm may result from the consumption or use of a product including food and/or drugs, machinery, medical devices
- Medical Malpractice: Personal injury may be caused through the negligent practices of a physician, nurse, surgeon or other medical practitioner. Another cause may be trauma at birth
A personal injury attorney is prepared to take on such cases. In fact, some lawyers actually specialize in one particular area of personal injury law preferring to take on the medical profession or insurance companies.
In the state of Florida, a personal injury attorney is permitted to ask for damages. He or she must decide as to whether the amount of damage sustained can be classified as special or general. Measurable damages are always easier to quantify as they can be measured e.g. how much medical attention was required; how much work was lost. Special damages cannot. This does not stop a lawyer from seeking both types of damages. It simply means special damages are harder to prove in court.
A personal injury lawyer in Tampa Fl may consider asking for the following may be damages:
- Medical costs related to your accident – This covers all expenses related to the accident: past, present and future
Physical disfigurement or disability resulting for the accident that is permanent
- Property damage that occurred as a result of the incident
- Income that is lost due to the accident – This may also refer to the time you may have to spend going to and from medical appointments during the recovery process
- Emotional distress and suffering caused by the personal injury e.g. anxiety, stress, depression
- Impediments with such personal aspects of your life as family relationships – This is called loss of consortium
Consulting a Personal Injury Attorney
If you suffer personal harm as a result of someone else’s careless or negligent actions, talk to a personal injury attorney. In Tampa FL, this is one way of seeing how you can get your life back. In some case, it may be the only way you will be able to receive a fair and equitable settlement for the injuries resulting from this incident.