According to a 2008 report by the National Center for Education Statistics, although the literacy rates have been pretty high, the employability levels do not match the figures. The mismatch is as high as 20 percent. Experts believe that the main reason is the lack of vocational education imparted to students. It is also advised that engagement levels for vocational education should be higher during basic primary.
Traditional Vocational Education
Traditionally, vocational education was offered by state and federal agencies, where post secondary education aimed at developing skills that could help an individual get a job by enhancing a particular skill or talent. These vocational courses were offered as a part of the curriculum during the four-year term in universities. Other forms of vocational education would be provided in form of the technical and military education.
Vocational Education: Changing Trends
With times and changing economic conditions, the importance of vocational education has gone up in the eyes of teachers as well as students. In addition to federal agencies, many private institutions have also started participating in the training. In fact, 30 percent of all vocational education in the United States of America is provided by educational institutes, via two-year diploma and certification courses. Experts believe that in times to come, this share can go as high as 50 percent.
Benefits of Vocational Education
Vocational education is a very beneficial decision, if taken on the right time. The advantages are not limited to the individual, but are passed on to employers, the state and other stakeholders.
* Since the education is directly associated with the employability of a candidate, the level of commitment to the course is much higher. On the other hand, generic academics are mostly considered futile by students.
* It hones the inbuilt talent and interest of the student, thus making it easier for him to learn. The intrinsic level of motivation is much higher, which simplifies the process of acquiring knowledge.
* Since these techniques are built around the best practices followed throughout the industry, most vocational training holds good irrespective of the domicile or nationality of the student.
* There is practically no gap between the level of knowledge and its application. Most of the times, vocational education includes hands-on training. This enables a person to get higher remuneration when he starts his career.
* With more and relevant knowledge, students and employers have reported having a higher level of job stability and satisfaction.
The benefits are many. To realize the true potential of vocational education, a person should ensure that he refers to a curriculum that is specifically designed to meet the needs of such students.
To get vocational education course material that is very relevant and has been developed after years of research and experience, log on to www.cevmultimedia.com. They have been in the industry for almost 3 decades now. In 2010, CEV Multimedia celebrated 100 millionth student viewership of a CEV Multimedia product.