Do You Need Legal Representation for Your Case? After an accident, that’s a question that most people ask themselves at some point. If the accident was minor, involving little more than some body shop work to the car, and no one was hurt, there would be no reason to hire a lawyer. On the other hand, if a car runs off the road and hits someone, leaving them severely injured, a lawyer will definitely be needed. Many cases fall in between those two extremes.
Here are some points to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to hire a lawyer.
- How important is the case to you? If there is a lot at stake, then it’s worth getting expert help. The other side has attorneys who handle cases every day.
- The law is very complicated. If an attorney is involved in a case personally, they seldom represent themselves. It’s far better to have an experienced legal representative who can be objective and focused.
- It’s very important to decide whether or not to hire a lawyer before agreeing to a settlement offer. Being an effective negotiator on their own behalf is not a skill that the average person uses very often. Insurance companies seldom make large settlements if the victim is not represented by an attorney.
- A serious case will normally involve witnesses. They will need to be located and questioned. Evidence will need to be found before it is too late. Police reports will need to be closely examined – there may be critical misstatements or omissions. An experienced attorney will know who to call on when an expert witness is needed and when the services of a private detective are required.
- There is a lot of paperwork involved in a legal case. Court documents must be prepared and filed correctly. The opposing attorney could try to bury an inexperienced person with paperwork. Deadlines must be met. If it was impossible to meet a deadline, would you know what to do?
Do You Need Legal Representation for Your Case? Get the facts before making a final decision. Contact the Law Office of David S. Kohm to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case. They have been representing those who deserve compensation for their injuries for more than 20 years.